Immigration law can be a complex and confusing topic, especially for immigrants who are new to Raleigh, NC. It is important for immigrants to understand their legal rights and obligations in order to navigate the immigration system successfully. In this article, we will explore some important aspects of immigration law in Raleigh, NC that immigrants should be aware of.
- Immigration Status: Immigrants in Raleigh, NC must have a valid immigration status in order to live and work in the United States. There are several types of immigration status, including temporary visas, permanent residency, and citizenship. It is important for immigrants to understand their immigration status and the rights and responsibilities that come with it.
- Employment-Based Immigration: Many immigrants come to Raleigh, NC for employment opportunities. There are several types of employment-based immigration visas, including H-1B visas for skilled workers and L-1 visas for intra-company transfers. Immigrants should understand the requirements and limitations of their specific visa in order to comply with immigration laws.
- Family-Based Immigration: Family-based immigration allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to sponsor certain family members for immigration to the United States. Immigrants should understand the eligibility requirements and process for family-based immigration in order to reunite with their loved ones.
- Deportation and Removal Proceedings: Immigrants in Raleigh, NC who violate immigration laws may face deportation and removal proceedings. It is important for immigrants to understand their legal rights during these proceedings and to seek the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer.
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA): DACA is a program that allows certain undocumented immigrants who arrived in the U.S. as children to stay in the country and work legally. Immigrants who are eligible for DACA should understand the requirements and benefits of the program.
Understanding immigration law is crucial for immigrants living in Raleigh, NC. By understanding their immigration status, employment and family-based immigration, deportation and removal proceedings, and programs like DACA, immigrants can navigate the immigration system successfully. It is important for immigrants to seek the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer to ensure that they are complying with immigration laws and protecting their legal rights.